In a fresh setback to Kuldeep Singh Sengar, an FIR was registered against the BJP MLA and nine others Monday on charges of murder after the Unnao rape survivor’s family alleged a conspiracy behind Sunday’s car accident in which two women were killed.
“FIR has been registered under the Indian Penal Code’s sections 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder), 506 (criminal intimidation), 120b (criminal conspiracy) against 10 named persons, including the BJP MLA, and 15-20 others,” a police officer said.
The complaint, which was filed by the victim’s uncle, who is lodged in Rae Bareli jail, also accused Sengar’s supporters of making calls to the survivor’s family and building pressure on them to change their statement in court.
“I am sure that the car was hit for killing all of them by the BJP MLA and his men,” the uncle said.
The FIR came hours after the rape survivor’s mother termed the incident a conspiracy to “wipe out her family”. The rape victim is in critical condition and undergoing treatment at the trauma centre of King George’s Medical University in Lucknow.
“It was not an accident but a conspiracy to eliminate all of us,” the victim’s mother was quoted as saying by PTI.
“The son of a co-accused in the case, Shahi Singh, and another youth of the village had threatened us. They said that they will deal with us,” she added.
On Sunday afternoon, the Unnao rape victim, who had accused BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar of sexually assaulting her in 2017, and her lawyer were critically injured and two of her aunts were killed when the car in which they were travelling collided with a truck in Gurubakshganj area of Rae Bareli. Police said they were going to Rae Bareli district jail, where the rape victim’s uncle is lodged.
The victim’s family has accused MLA Sengar of planning the accident. Sengar, MLA from Bangarmau in Unnao, is lodged in Sitapur district jail. “MLA Kuldeep Singh and his associates planned the attack to threaten us so that we stop pursuing the case. Everyone in the village knew they were going to Rae Bareli jail,” said the rape victim’s cousin in Unnao.
Uttar Pradesh Director General of Police O P Singh said the state government is ready to transfer the case to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
Addressing a press conference in Lucknow earlier in the day, the DGP said that the woman was provided with three security guards but they were unable to accompany her as there was no place in the car. Prima facie, Singh said, it appears to be an accident and an “unbiased” probe is on.
“The state government is ready for recommending a CBI probe into the Sunday’s mishap in Raebareli if the victim’s mother or any relative makes any request in this regard,” the officer was quoted as saying by PTI.
The National Commission for Women also expressed concerns over the incident and directed UP DG to ensure fair and speedy investigation into the matter.