- 68 Reads
THOUBAL | Sept 28 : More than 30 persons who suffered from food poisoning after consuming fermented soya beans were taken to hospital as they started vomiting and suffering from diarrhoea. More patients were continually being admitted to the hospital by evening today.
It is said that the fermented soya beans were brought from Tekcham bazaar.
Most of the patients who were admitted to the hospital are from near Sapam Mayai Leikai, Sapam Laibung Leikai and Teckham Keithel areas. They were being admitted to the Primary health centre, Khongjom since early morning of today.
The fermented soya beans the patients had consumed in the evening were brought on the evening of September 27. The patients started suffering from the diarrhoea and vomiting on the next morning. As several patients were brought in at the Khongjom primary health centre, it ran out of its capacity to admit more patients. So, the critical ones were referred to Thoubal district hospital, Khangabok for further treatment.
By late evening today, some of the patients have been discharged. However, more patients were being continually brought into both Khongjom PHC and district hospitals.
Since bandh was imposed today and most the chemists and pharmacies located near Thoubal district hospital remained closed, many had to go through severe difficulties while trying to get medicines for the patients. The relatives of the patients expressed their unhappiness against the pharmacies for closing their shops down.